To give you a little more insight into my gaming ‘career’, I’ve answered 30 questions about video games. A nice little nostalgia-trip for me, another gaming-related post for you. Hopefully it justifies my position as a ‘game blogger’ a little more; I definitely feel like an imposter who knows about as much as Jon Snow most of the time.
1. What’s your favourite game of all time?
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2. What’s a really popular game everyone seems to love but you don’t like?
Fortnite: I’ve tried to like it but just can’t get into it.
3. What game have you spent the most hours on?
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – easily 300+ hours spent monster-slaying. I regret nothing!
4. If you had to marry the last video game character you played, who would it be?
Arthur Morgan. No complaints here, no sir! I could get behind the outlaw life… so long as I could give him 21st Century medical care 😉.
5. If you had to live in the world of the last game you played, what world would it be?
Red Dead Redemption 2: Rootin’ Tootin’ ‘Murica.
6. What was the first game you ever remember playing?
Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (PS One), or Tetris on one of those little single-title handhelds. Living the dream!
7. What game did you last complete?
Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Loved it!
8. What game are you playing right now?
Red Dead Redemption 2… there’s a theme here.
9. Are PC gamers really superior to console players?
No, they’re two separate modes of gaming. The preachy PC gamers (thankfully, in the minority) claiming to be superior often have money to burn and are really just bragging. True gamers can (and will) game on anything. Why can’t we all be friends?
10. Have you ever used a walkthrough?
Absolutely. Tomb Raider III was too much for my young gamer self to work out without begging my mum to call the helpline. These days a cheeky Google will suffice.
11. What’s the best weapon you’ve ever used in a game?
The blue shell in Mario Kart. It can make or break a person.
12. Have you ever had to stop playing a game because it was too scary?
100%. Outlast was too much.
13. Has a game’s storyline ever made you cry?
Always, I get so invested in a game’s story. The Last of Us intro broke me within 5 minutes! Equally, I know Red Dead Redemption 2 will at some point… I’m just in denial and refuse to progress that far.
14. What’s your favourite fighting class: warrior, mage, or rogue, and why?
Rogue: there’s something satisfying about its versatility. I go for warrior when i get impatient, though!
15. What’s your favourite game genre?
16. Do you prefer multiplayer games or to go solo?
Solo, every time. It’s something about immersion, I think. Having other people there breaks it for me. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good few rounds of Battlefield or Call of Duty every now and then, but given the choice? Solo.
17. What is the first console you ever owned?
18. What is the longest amount of time you have sat playing games non-stop?
If I knew this, I probably wouldn’t admit it.
19. If video games didn’t exist anymore, what would you do?
Start an underground movement that worships them instead?
20. What is your favourite song from a game?
This is a hard one. I’ll never forget the mission in Far Cry 3 where ‘Make it Burn Dem’ comes on while you’re torching a weed farm, though. That was FUN.
21. Which video game character do you most wish you were like?
Lara Croft. Considered myself ‘Cara Loft’ as a kid. I’d love nothing more than to travel the world in search of archaeological artefacts dual-wielding pistols, if necessary. I long for the day in which a long-lost relative bestows upon me their inheritance so I can realise this dream.
22. If you could have one power of any video game character, who would it be?
Ciri from The Witcher – being able to skip through space and time? Yes please.
23. Xbox or PlayStation? Choose one!
PlayStation. I’ve loved getting to grips with the Xbox during these past few months, but I’ll always be a Sony kid.
24. Who is your favourite villain from a video game and why?
The Origami Killer from Heavy Rain. I am still shook from that reveal. The betrayal, the lies, the deceit. Well-played, Quantic Dream.
25. What is your favourite game from your childhood?
Runescape: it’s literally my childhood – everyone in my school played it. I still do for the nostalgia!
26. What’s your favourite game series of all time?
Uncharted. I love the games so much… and Drake, too, but that’s beside the point. The voice-acting and cast make it.
27. What’s more important: action or story?
S T O R Y. Action is needed, too, but story is essential.
28. If you could have any video game character as your best friend, who would it be?
Video game bestie? This is hard. I’d say Dogmeat from Fallout: dependable and a good boy. Or Lara Croft/Nathan Drake so I can realise this treasure-hunting dream.
29. Would you rather have loads of time to play games but only be able to buy two games a year, or be able to buy loads of games but never have much time to play them?
The second one is my life, so I’ll say the first one to mix things up a bit!
30. Would you give up video games for life and receive $500,000 in cash, or would you refuse the money?
Refuse the money, every time.